Finance and Operations Manager
The Finance and Operations Manager will lead Sustainable Ocean Alliances (SOAs) accounting and day to day financial management, auditing & compliance, reporting and analysis, contract management, HR compliance, benefit management and administration. This role will also support the Chief Operating Officer (COO) with other functions such as hiring, organizational risk management, grants, and financial planning. This position will manage the relationship with our services contracts for payroll, benefits, insurance, and administration. Initially, this role will enter and manage all accounting and payroll transactions and evaluate the structure and outsourcing needs moving forward. The Finance and Operations Manager must abide by all Human Resources principles and objectives, including confidentiality, at all times.
- Accounting and Day to Day Financial Management
- Accountable on time execution of the following:
- Enter all transactions into financial software
- Set up vendors, collect W-8 and W-9 forms.
- Enter wires/bills in Bank Account
- Prepare invoices and review standard expense reports
- Reconcile bank accounts, credit cards, advances
- Maintain official files and ensure that transactions are properly supported.
- Prepare other schedules/analysis as needed
- Process semi-monthly payroll and review tax filings
- Manage all corporate credit cards, banks account and prepare cash flow schedules
- Approve payments of a certain amount
- Oversee financial data reconciliation process between all systems (financial software, expense reports, bill.com, Salesforce, etc)
- Lead development and ongoing updates of Financial Manual
- Grant and Contract Management
- Refine scope of work and budget with program staff
- Draft contracts and service agreements
- Coordinate signatures, official forms and keep official files organized.
- Track all ongoing contracts, due dates, payments and ensure approval and review by technical managers
- Process microgrants in support of Leadership Program
- Reporting, Budget, and Analysis
- Develop and manage updates of the annual budget with the COO
- Review and analyze monthly reports, highlight issues as needed
- Support COO in creation of financial forecasts, both annual and long term, to assist in budgeting decisions
- Draft monthly financial statements for Leadership Team and Board
- Auditing, Compliance and Risk Management
- Track all nonprofit compliance reports, due dates, and filing status
- Lead annual audit and 990 Preparation in coordination with CPAs
- Lead regulatory compliance and screenings
- Manage and coordinate the relationship with operations related vendors and service providers as assigned
- Manage all organizational insurance policies, ensuring adequate and cost-effective coverage
- Ensure compliance with all Federal nonprofit regulations and all local and state regulations
- HR Compliance and Benefit Management
- Benefit Management including employee communications, renewals and broker relationship
- Manage onboarding and orientation for new employees
- Lead the development of HR manual and associated policies
- Lead and/or support recruitment and onboarding of new staff to fill vacancies and new positions
- Support implementation of HR programs, processes, and other initiatives
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations
- Research, evaluate, roll out and manage a new 401K for SOA
- Partner with COO to manage performance review process
- General Admin
- Systems: Manage and understand all financial and HR system, including banking systems, QuickBooks, Bill.com, Salesforce etc)
PEOPLE AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will manage relationships with key service providers. This position will highlight spending and compliance issues and have access to SOA’s bank accounts, financial files, and HR files, so discretion is required.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in accounting or finance or equivalent work experience.
- 5 or more years’ experience in an accounting- or finance-related position with increasing scope of responsibility.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current accounting and HR regulations.
- Experience with nonprofit and GAAP accounting principles.
*A combination of education, training, and experience which has provided theoretical and practical knowledge will be evaluated for equivalency.
Skills and abilities (including languages and software)
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills. Ability to manage multiple and varied tasks in a fast-paced, high-volume regulated environment, highly proficient organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve and effectively and efficiently make decisions.
- Improves the company’s overall effectiveness by developing and implementing solutions and applying continuous improvement practices to increase efficiency and reduce costs.
- Ensure ethical conduct at all times. Act with integrity and honesty, abide by all HR principles and objectives including confidentiality, projecting a positive impression of the company and maintaining a respectful atmosphere.
- Excels at working within team. Is patient and objective in difficult situations with different types of people and cultures.
- Strong communication skills with external and internal personnel to include: active listening; articulating clearly and confidently, facilitate positive, timely, and appropriate communication amongst team members.
- Continue own education by staying informed of industry trends, learning new skills and sharing relevant information with others
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Advance skills in Excel and other related reporting software
- Ability to visualize and design charts, graphs and other financial models
- Experience with start-up cultures and nonprofits
- Experience with public accounting.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND TRAVEL
This position is remote but must be eligible to work in the United States and work Pacific Standard time hours.